Benefits of Employment
Welcome to Naropa!
Aside from our rich intellectual and experiential work environment, Naropa University offers a substantial benefits package available to all full-time employees who work a minimum of 30 hours each week. All benefits begin on the first of the month following 60 days of employment. The highlights of the 2016 Naropa benefits package are as follows:
Health & Welfare Insurance Benefits
- Health Insurance: Naropa University offers medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage for all
full-time employees. Employees are eligible to enroll on the first day of the month following 60 days of employment. Benefit plans are available
with Aetna, Kaiser, and Delta Dental. Premiums paid by employees are deducted on apre-tax
basis from monthly paychecks. Health insurance benefits are paid in advance for the
coming month (i.e. paid in January for February coverage).
- Flex Spending Accounts (FSA): Employees can set aside up to $2,550 pre-tax for medical related expenses, and $5,000 pre-tax for dependent care expenses. Eligible Medical FSA expenses include deductibles, co-pays, prescription costs, co-insurance, and some alternative medical expenses, such as acupuncture.
- Health Savings Account (HSA): A tax-deductible health savings account is available for participants in the High Deductible plans with Aetna and Kaiser. Employees can contribute pre-tax dollars to their HSA to pay for qualified medical, dental, and vision expenses.
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance: Naropa University provides $50,000 of Basic Term Life and $50,000 of AD&D coverage at no cost to employees. In addition, voluntary life insurance coverage is available at the employee's option and expense.
- Short Term Disability (STD): Naropa provides STD insurance for all full-time employees. STD pays up to 60% of your regular earnings for up to 9-weeks, following a 30-day elimination period, if you are unable to work due to injury or illness.
- Long Term Disability (LTD):Naropa provides LTD insurance coverage for all full-time employees. Employees are
eligible for LTD benefits following a 90-day elimination period (the STD period).
LTD insurance pays up to 60% of your regular earnings for up to 2 years. If you are
unable to return to work in your current occupation after 2 years, LTD coverage may
be available up to your normal retirement age.
- Work-Life Balance Employee Assistance Program (EAP): As part of our LTD plan, Naropa provides a free EAP plan. Employees can seek confidential assistance or referrals for themselves and their family members for a variety of needs including counseling, legal concerns, and financial counseling.
- Worldwide Emergency Travel Assistance: As part of our LTD plan, Naropa provides emergency travel assistance for employees and their families when traveling more than 100 miles from home on either business or pleasure.
Paid Time Off
- Holidays: Naropa recognizes Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Shambhala Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and the Friday following as paid holidays. In addition, Naropa University is generally closed for Winter Break from December 24 through January 1, and all full-time employees receive paid time off for these days.
- Personal Days: Employees receive 2 personal days annually for years 0-3, 4 days for years 4-6, and 6 days starting in year 7. Personal days may be used in conjunction with sick and vacation time and must be used in the anniversary year granted.
- Sick Time: Employees can accrue up to 10 days of sick time annually. Sick time accrues to a maximum of 20 days. Sick time may be used for scheduled medical appointments, personal illness or injury, or for the illness of an immediate family member.
- Vacation Time: Employees can accrue up to 10 days of vacation time annually for years 0-3 of employment, 15 days for years 4-7, and 20 days for greater than 7 years of service. The maximum vacation you can accrue is capped at the annual amount plus 1 week.
- Vacation Exchange: Employees may exchange 2 sick days for 1 vacation day to a maximum of 5 vacation days annually.
- 403(b) Retirement Plan: Naropa sponsors a 403(b) retirement plan with TIAA-CREF. Employees may invest pre-tax earnings with TIAA-CREF to a maximum of $18,000 per year. Naropa currently matches 100% of eligible contributions to a maximum of 5% of salary.
- Academic Tuition Remission Program: Naropa provides generous tuition remission opportunities for employees and their family members. This includes for-credit and auditing classes. Tenure and eligibility rules apply.
- Contemplative Practice: Employees have access to meditation instructors and information about contemplative practices. Current opportunities can be found through the Contemplative Practices Office. Meditation classes are also part of the Academic Tuition benefit.
- Elevations Credit Union: Naropa University is a member organization with Elevations Credit Union. Elevations provides several free benefit options for Naropa employees including checking and savings accounts.
- Leaves of Absence: Naropa offers a variety of leave options for employees needing time away from work for personal, medical, or professional development needs. Tenure and eligibility rules apply for all leave types.
- RTD-Eco Pass: Naropa provides RTD bus passes for all full-time employees at no charge.
In addition to the above benefits, Naropa also offers discounts with numerous local merchants, including Eldora Ski Resort and Mandala Integrative Medicine Clinic.
The above list is designed to provide highlights of Naropa University's benefits package,
and is not intended to be a comprehensive or legally binding document. These benefits
are subject to change as provided for in the Employee Handbook. The Employee Handbook
and individual plans and documents provide the full detail as to each set of benefits.
Human Resources Generalist