Creative Writing // Master of Fine Arts
To celebrate the 40th anniversary of Naropa University, the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics has developed a new MFA in Creative Writing. The newly revamped low residency MFA in Creative Writing is be a two-year degree. September and February residencies are planned to occur over a long weekend and feature one accomplished guest writer. The week-long June residency will coincide with the Jack Kerouac School's renowned Summer Writing Program, where students attend workshops, lectures, panels, and readings with some of the most provocative writers of our time. Active writers will mentor students toward the completion of a book-length manuscript, and an emphasis on contemplative education encourages awareness and creativity.
Highlights of the planned new curriculum include:
- Two-year degree with 14 days of residency per year in Boulder, CO
- Open genre curriculum reflecting JKS history and our ongoing commitment to innovative writing
- One-on-one mentorship with accomplished faculty
- Emphasis on contemplative writing practices
- Participation in the Summer Writing Program
- Guidance in preparing the creative thesis for publication
- Cohort model developing a strong sense of community among MFA students
The program offers a contemplative academic environment. The new curriculum will better serve students' needs and further enable them to engage with the world as scholars and writers while attending to their busy work schedules and lives.
Thank you for your interest in both Naropa University and the Jack Kerouac School
of Disembodied Poetics.
Naropa University is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA).