Creative Writing (low-residency)
Creative Writing—Master of Fine Arts (Low-residency program)
40th Anniversary—MFA Relaunching in Fall 2015
To celebrate the 40th anniversary of Naropa University, the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics will unveil a new MFA in Creative Writing curriculum in fall 2015. Highlights of the new curriculum include:
- Cohort course: develops a strong sense of community among MFA students.
- Revised courses: reflects both JKS history and our ongoing commitment to innovative writing.
- Additional features: clearer focus on contemplative writing and practice as well as support around professional development and career goals.
- Check back for announcements regarding these changes.
The MFA in Creative Writing is a low-residency degree program. Students typically enroll in online courses in fall and spring semesters and attend the Summer Writing Program in-residence.
The program offers a contemplative academic environment. The redesign will better serve students' needs and further enable them to engage with the world as scholars and writers while attending to their busy work schedules and lives.
Graduate Credit and Non-credit
Below is the list of online classes offered to non-program students. Courses are offered for graduate credit as well as non-credit. Sign up for a class today to get a taste of our MFA low-res program!
Spring 2014 Online Classes
- WRI668E-A Practice of Fiction: Toward Accumulating A Larger Text
- WRI680E-A Mind Moving
- WRI793E-A Special Topics: Writing Workshop
Fall 2014 Online Classes
- WRI688e Literature Seminar Kerouac's Road
- WRI793e-A Special Topics Poetic Memoir WRI793e-B
- Special Topics The Prose Poem, or Poetic Prose
Spring 2015 Online Classes
- WRI641e Practice of Fiction Scultping Prose
- WRI792e Book Matters The Art of Publishing
- WRI739e Special Topics From Manifesto to Text: Poets and Their Isms
Accepting Applications in MFA Residency Program
Thank you for your interest in both Naropa University and the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics. Please note: we are still matriculating for our MFA in Writing & Poetics (residency creative writing program). Learn more about the MFA in Writing & Poetics.