Contemplative Education // Master of Arts
The low-residency Contemplative Education master's degree at Naropa University is designed for classroom teachers at all levels—pre-K through college—as well as people interested in transforming teaching and learning.
Combining the study of holistic Western educational theory and philosophy with Eastern meditation practices, the low-residency MA in Contemplative Education will give you a strong foundation in contemplative teaching, curriculum development, and personal awareness.
Students who graduate with a degree in Contemplative Education are uniquely prepared to create compassionate and successful learning communities and effect meaningful educational reform—in the classroom and beyond.
Contemplative Education Master's Degree Highlights
- Learn to practice Maitri (loving kindness) Space Awareness.
- Complete and present a master's research project.
- Take classes in the afternoon or evening to accommodate your work schedule.
Concentration/Option: Education Beyond the Classroom is an option targeted primarily to non-teachers, students who are interested research, policy, and other areas.
Duration: The Contemplative Education program is a low-residency, two-year, 36-credit degree program. Students take classes as part of a cohort community.
Online Classes: Online classes are scheduled in weekly units. The start and end days for each week may vary among instructors, but in our program most courses open their units on Fridays. At that time the lecture and assignments for a unit will be posted. Typically, over the weekend, students do the readings and then post to the threaded discussion board by Sunday. At that time they also read through other student posts and respond to them. During the rest of the weekly unit, students may have other online assignments, apply what they are learning that week to their teaching (if they are teaching), and continue to engage in dialog with the other students and instructor.
Naropa University is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA).
Contemplative Education In the News
"Can Buddhist training de-stress teachers?" by Rebecca Jones, July 2, 2012, in Chalkbeat Colorado.
- Director of preschool, Boulder, CO
- Teacher of middle school Spanish, Seattle, WA
- Director of tutoring/home schooling program, San Diego, CA
- Elementary school music teacher, Asheville, NC
- English and Spanish teacher, New York, NY K-8 principal, Denver, CO
- High school English teacher, Carlisle, PA
- Middle school teacher in an international school, South India
- Assistant principal, Sacramento, CA
- High school math teacher, Hoboken, NJ
Related Naropa Facilities and Initiatives
- The Alaya Preschool is Naropa's lab school.
- The Mary Culkin Lecture Series brings leaders in early childhood education to Naropa to speak to students, faculty and members of the educational community.