The Frederick P. Lenz Foundation Merit Scholarship
Application Deadline: March 1st, 2015
The purpose of the Lenz Foundation Merit Scholarship is to attract the best and brightest students to Naropa University, and to support the studies of those who will go on to make significant contributions to American Buddhism.
The Lenz Foundation Merit Scholarship will be awarded to one student for the 2015-2016 academic year.
- Graduate student entering as a full-time degree candidate in either the Master of Divinity or Master of Religious Studies Program
- Outstanding academic record and promise
- U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident
- Potential for making a meaningful contribution to the development of America Buddhism
Each Lenz scholar will receive a scholarship ranging from $10,000 to $15,000 for each academic year in which he or she is enrolled and meeting the academic requirements of the program.
Requirements and Selection Process
Candidates must apply for the scholarship each year. An entering student who wishes to apply must submit to the Scholarship Review Committee, in electronic form, to the Financial Aid Office:
- A cover letter outlining why she/he is qualified for the award;
- An essay describing his/her goals as a Naropa student, how she/he hopes to apply that education after graduation, and how she/he hopes to make a contribution to American Buddhism;
- An 8-10 page academic paper on an aspect of Frederick Lenz's work. The topic for this essay is chosen each year by the Program Lead of Religious Studies in concert with the members of the Advisory Committee of the Lenz Foundation. View the Lenz Foundation Merit Scholarship essay topic.
- Two letters of recommendation, a resume and writing sample.
- Before a final selection is made, candidate(s) may be required to complete a phone interview with the members of the Lenz Foundation and the scholarship selection committee as part of the selection process.
All application materials can be sent via email to: finaidAT_NAROPA
Final Scholarly Paper
Prior to the recipient commencing his or her final academic year at Naropa, and prior to any funding of that recipient's Lenz Merit Scholarship for that final academic year, the recipient will write a scholarly paper analyzing and commenting upon some aspect of Dr. Lenz's work, and shall submit the same to the Religious Studies Program Coordinator, who shall review the paper in conjunction with the other faculty members, and, if worthy, certify it for academic excellence and then submit this to the foundation, where it may be published in whole or part, in any form or media, at the discretion of the Foundation. If this condition is not met, the recipient shall not receive a Lenz Merit Scholarship for his or her final year.
Lenz Merit Scholar Alumni Opportunity
Naropa shall advise Lenz Scholars that should they successfully complete their matriculation and graduate as a Lenz Scholar, they will have the opportunity to:
1. Participate in Lenz Foundation grantee training programs as may be available from time to time; and
2. Apply for grants on a favored consideration basis to the Lenz Foundation for and on behalf of any 501(c)(3) public charity organization by which they are employed or with which they are affiliated, and which may be otherwise qualified to receive grants under the Lenz Foundation's grant making guidelines.