Duration and Maintenance of Status

SEVIS Number

Your SEVIS number is the 11 digit combination of letters and numbers that appears in the right top corner of your I-20. This will be your permanent identifying number in SEVIS. Write it on the U.S. visa page of your passport so you will have a permanent record of it.

Transfer from another School

If you are coming directly to Naropa from another U.S. institution, you will need to follow these transfer procedures:

  1. Inform the international student advisor at the school you are attending that you will be transferring to Naropa University and give the advisor the transfer form provided to you by the Admissions office at Naropa.
  2. The advisor at your current school will release you in SEVIS once you have completed your studies there.
  3. Obtain a new I-20 from Naropa University
  4. Check in with the international student advisor at Naropa as soon as you arrive on campus.

If you leave the U.S. before coming to Naropa, you must re-enter the U.S. using your new I-20 issued by Naropa. If you still have a valid F-1 visa stamp, you will not have to apply for a new visa at a U.S. Consulate. Re-entry with the Naropa I-20 will complete your transfer procedure.

Program Study Requirements

F-1 students are required by immigration regulations to be enrolled in a full-time course of study each fall and spring semester (enrollment during summer sessions is not required) and to make normal progress toward a degree or other academic objective. At Naropa, this means that undergraduate students must carry at least 12 credit hours each semester. Graduate students must carry at least the number of credit hours required by their program (usually 9 credit hours). Some flexibility is allowed advanced graduate students, whose program of study must be the equivalent of a full course of study as determined by the student's academic advisor. An F-1 student who carries less than a full program of study risks the loss of F-1 status. The international student advisor can, in some cases, authorize less than a full course of study. Permission to drop below full-time cannot be granted retroactively. Authorization to drop below full-time must be entered into SEVIS by the international student advisor before you officially withdraw from any classes if you wish to maintain F-1 status.

Change of Address

Any change of address must be reported to SEVIS within 10 days of the move. It is very important that you inform the international student advisor immediately if you change your address so that she can report this change for you. You can e-mail . You should also report your change of address to the Naropa Registration Office. The Registration Office needs your correct address in order to mail registration materials to you.

Duration and Maintenance of Status

F-1 students and their F-2 dependents are admitted to the United States for "duration of status."  Duration of status means the period of time during which an F-1 student is pursuing a full-time course of study plus a grace period of 60 days to leave the United States or seek a change of status. Students who drop out of school or otherwise fail to maintain status lose this 60 day grace period.

To maintain status as an F-1 student you must carry a full-time course load each fall and spring semester; keep your passport valid for at least six months into the future; report address changes; complete your studies by the completion date on your I-20 or extend the I-20; you must not work without authorization; and you must attend the school USCIS authorized you to attend. A full-time program of study at Naropa University is defined as 12 credits or more of undergraduate courses; for graduate study it is defined by the department, but in most cases is 9 credits. Any deviation from this full-time program must be certified by your academic advisor as the equivalent of a full-time program of study and must be approved in advance by the international student advisor.