U.S. Federal and State Income Tax

Any international student who has U.S. source income (including on-campus, work-study employment), even if the amount earned is very small, must file tax returns with the U.S. federal government and the State of Colorado. Income tax forms must be filed by April 15 of the following year. For example, for the 2008 tax year, you must file by April 15, 2009. The tax year is the same as the calendar year. All students, whether or not they have a U.S. source of income, should file form 8843 with the U.S. tax department to certify their non-resident tax status.

The international student advisor can provide basic information about taxes, where to obtain forms and where to obtain tax assistance. This office can also provide information on completing the W-4, a form that must be completed before you begin employment, and which determines the amount of tax to be withheld from your salary. Be sure to complete this form carefully. If you do not, you could owe several hundred dollars in taxes at the end of the year. If you have questions about the W-4 form, please see the international student advisor. You will need a Social Security number for employment and to file a tax form.